Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why the name "Gospel Crumbs"?


I named this blog "Gospel Crumbs" because I wanted to add whatever small crumbs I could to supplement the many great Christian websites on the internet dealing with various Christian topics; whether it be apologetics, theology, devotional literature or whatever. For example, there are times when I read an interesting article on the web and wish it included or addressed something it didn't. With this blog I can drop those crumbs whenever I want in the same way Hansel and Gretel did, but crumbs leading to the heart of God rather than to the oven of hell.

Another reason for the name is because of the biblical motif of bread representing essential food and provisions (both earthly/physical and heavenly/spiritual). In the New Testament, bread is often emblematic of the good news of the Gospel, the various blessings of the Gospel and of Jesus Christ Himself the source of the Gospel.

Jesus said, "...I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."- John 6:35

and

"I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh." - John 6:48-51

We are encouraged to pray "Give us this day our daily bread..." (Matt. 6:11//Luke 11:3).

Jesus quoting the Old Testament said, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" (Matt. 4:4)

We need the truth of God's Word for Life in this world and for the next world, and so this blog is dedicated to promoting and defending the Christian worldview (mainly) through apologetics because, as the Lord Jesus Christ said, "...it is not good to take the children’s bread..." (Mark 7:27). I'm convinced that defending the truth of Christianity is especially needed in our Age of increasing alternative and competing worldviews, religions, and philosophies of life which are being offered in the marketplace of ideas.


I wish I could call the blog "Gospel Loaves", but my contributions aren't worthy of that name. Like the widow who put in "two small copper coins" in the treasury (Mark 12:42; Luke 21:2), I can only contributes small crumbs. But I trust that as Christ multiplied the little boy's five barley loaves and two fish to feed a multitude (John 6:9), so the Lord will multiply the beneficial effects of the small crumbs I contribute to help advance His Kingdom.

In addition to Gospel Crumbs, here are other blogs of mine that directly or indirectly deal with apologetical and theological matters:



******************************
"What has a man from all the toil and striving of heart with which he toils beneath the sun? For all his days are full of sorrow, and his work is a vexation. Even in the night his heart does not rest. This also is vanity."- Eccl. 2:22-23
"All the toil of man is for his mouth, yet his appetite is not satisfied." - Eccl. 6:7
"Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal."- John 6:27




originally posted 4/17/2013; but placed near the start of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment